The GRAND Skills Competition recently completed a successful 2nd year of skills competition among students from the hospitality and food and beverage department of several universities and colleges.
City Garden GRAND Hotel, one of the top hotels in Makati and the main organizer of the event gave the students an opportunity to showcase their talents and competence in a levelled-up competition categories.
The universities and colleges included in the 2nd GRAND Skills Competition are Far Eastern University, Lyceum of the Philippines University, National University, Philippine Women’s University, and University of Sto. Tomas.
Battling against “Table Setting with Centerpiece”, “Food Art”, “Gourmet Student Meal” and “Bartending/Cocktail Mixing”, the winners of the competition were carefully and critically judge by respected and well-known hospitality and food and beverage practitioners which are Mr. Jordan Tan, F&B Director of Ibarra’s Event and Party Venues, Ms. Ma. Princess Jill Meneses, Asst. Professor, Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management of the University of the Philippines Diliman, Mr. Jason Hussein Ali, 2018 Bacardi Legacy Champion, Chef Dennis Peralta, Executive Chef of City Garden Grand Hotel and Chef Michael ‘Miko” Aspiras, Esquire Magazine’s Chef of the Year and Owner/Pastry Chef at Le Petite Souffle’.
The winners of the 2nd GRAND Skills competition received cash prizes, gift certificates and gift items from City Garden Grand Hotel. The event was also made possible by its sponsors Happy Living Philippines Corporation and Cybersound Professional Lights & Sounds.
This year’s victors are:
- “Table Setting with Centerpiece”
- 1st Placers – University of Sto. Tomas: Jan Willies Dayaon, Derick Derpo and Elysian Aromin
- 2nd Placers – Far Eastern University: Calvin Kyle E. Malavi, Mhaviryusuke E. Sato, and Roma Alysa Sanchez
- 3rd Placers – National University: Alyssa Mae L. Ardan, Ellona Angelika Donque, and Tristan Elevado
- “Gourmet Student Meal”, main dish “canned tuna”
- 1st Placers – Lyceum of the Philippines University: Michael Angelo D. Grantoza and Alden Milloren
- 2nd Placers – National University: Bon Kerwin Venturina and Francis Edward Cabantoc
- 3rd Placers – University of Sto. Tomas: Joel Ian Hilario and John Edward Mendoza
- “Food Art”, theme “Flores de Mayo”
- 1st Placer – Far Eastern University: Christine Villamoran
- 2nd Placer – Lyceum of the Philippines University: Mc Kevin P. Caguia
- 3rd Placer – National University: Parica Diane
- “Bartending/Cocktail Mixing”, theme Summer booze mixes
- 1st Placer – Philippine Women’s University: Jem Elijah Malonzo*
- 2nd Placer – Philippine Women’s University: Noelle Anne R. Fajardo
- 3rd Placer – Far Eastern University: Lynchor Fate E. Dimaculangan
*“Ele’na”, the cocktail mix of Mr. Malonzo will be featured at Firefly Roofdeck as the “Drink of the Month”
The event was hosted and held at the Rosemary Ballroom, 31st floor, of City Garden GRAND Hotel. For more information about the GRAND Skills Competition you may contact (02) 888 8181 or email email@example.com
Karina is not your ordinary supermom. She juggles her time bonding with her three amazing kids while being in the loop on the latest happenings in the tech and lifestyle scene. Follow me on Instagram (@digitalfilipina) regularly visit www.digitalfilipina.com for daily dose of updates not just for moms but for everyone!