In order to make updates from the state weather bureau more accessible to the people, The Palace announced yesterday that it has opened a public chat via the mobile app Viber.
During a press briefing, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda asked for consideration regarding the delay of some of the announcement of work suspension, since it was using all means to communicate weather updates and it would need advisories from scientists first.
Lacierda said, “We would only declare a suspension whenever there is a recommendation from the DOST (Department of Science and Technology) and so we would always rely on our scientists and our weather forecasters. As you know, we only relay to the public the decision and the recommendations provided for
Malacañang is responsible on suspension of work in government, while class suspensions are determined by local officials.
Lacierda also said they hope everyone would “know how to protect themselves from inclement weather.” despite some minor issues on the side of the government.
“We are very cognizant of the concerns of our citizens and that’s why we will exert our earnest efforts to really make sure that we update you,” he added.
Malacañang also said earlier that they are monitoring Typhoon Falcon and that Pnoy was waiting for updates and comprehensive reports on the weather condition from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said last Tuesday that the government is also keeping an eye of the situation on the ground, especially areas on the flood zone.
He gave assurance to the public that local DRRMCs were doing their part to keep the people safe from harm, adding that the national government is ready to extend additional assistance, if necessary.