A world of family-friendly video to explore; centered for parents and children
YouTube, being the world’s most popular online video community allows millions of people to discover watch and share original videos, and our children are no exception. Nowadays, if you’re a parent wanting a little break or give your kids some distraction while you do a necessary errand, all you need is a tablet and internet, and voila; peace on Earth! While watching videos can be fun and educational, unfortunately, not all of them are for the little ones to see. Parents are still responsible for what their kids watch.
Kids today are smarter, and parents must be too! Here’s YouTube Kids app that will entertain and benefit the kids, while parents feel safe for their kids:
YouTube is recently brought YouTube Kids in the Philippines — an app built with parents and children in mind that make it easier for kids to find videos on topics they want to explore. Since YouTube Kids launched in over 14 countries, it’s been downloaded tens of millions of times by families who rate it among the top five kid’s apps available. YouTube is pleased to bring it to families in the Philippines last October 5, and it’s now available to download for free on Google Play and the App Store. Built from the ground up with little ones in mind, the free Kids app makes it easy for children to find videos on topics they want to explore.
Reasons to download the YouTube Kids:
Bright and playful design
The app’s kid-friendly design makes it even easier to find Little Baby Bum or the latest video of In The Night Garden. With larger images and bold icons, YouTube Kids is fast and simple for little thumbs to navigate. And we’ve built in voice search so that even if your child can’t spell or type, they can still find videos of things they’re curious about.
YouTube Kids app is built to be a more family-friendly version of YouTube, a place for kids to explore their imagination and curiosity. You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning, and Explore. Search for videos of particular interest to your families, like why penguins waddle on National Geographic Kids or watch favorites from Thomas and Friends, Wallace and Gromit, and Reading Rainbow. And of course, your kids can watch new series from YouTube channels they already like.
YouTube Kids also features some options that help you control the experience for your kids and put parents in the driver’s seat.
● Learn how the app works: When parents open YouTube Kids, they learn upfront how our systems choose and recommend content and how to flag videos. We always try to make the videos available in the app family-friendly, but no system is perfect. So if you ever find a video you’re concerned about, please flag it. This helps make YouTube Kids better for everyone.
● Search settings: We’ll also prompt you to make a choice about how broadly you want your child to explore – turn search on to access millions of family-friendly videos or turn search off to restrict your child’s experience to a more limited set. Either way, parents decide the right experience for their family from the get-go.
● Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over.
● Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while parents catch a breath.
● Custom passcode: Parents have the ability to set their own passcode, and to access settings and other parental information in the app.
● YouTube Kids on the big screen: You can now also watch YouTube Kids as a family on your big screen using Chromecast, Apple TV, game consoles or a smart TV.
Don Anderson, Head of Kids and Learning Partnerships, YouTube Asia Pacific, said, “As a father of two young children, I’ve had first-hand exposure to the power of video and how it can enrich a child’s life, whether it is through listening to nursery rhymes, or accessing math and science content, or a host of other topics that entertain and engage. YouTube Kids is our first step in reimagining YouTube for families, an experience that gives you a world of video in your pockets, and a world of possibility and knowledge at your fingertips. We’re excited to see how YouTube Kids will better help your family explore, learn, and sing along.”
Not a tech-savvy? No worries, once you download the YouTube Kids app, and open it up for the first time, Youtube will explain how the systems choose and recommend content and how to flag videos. Some options will also be prompted so you choose about how broadly you want your child to explore—turn search on to access millions of family-friendly videos, or turn search off to restrict your child’s experience to a more limited set. Either way, you can decide the right experience for their family from the get-go.
Youtube Kids is designed to help families explore, learn and sing along. As a mom of two little kiddos, I am thrilled to use this app, I hope you are too! Enjoy!
Karina is not your ordinary supermom. She juggles her time bonding with her three amazing kids while being in the loop on the latest happenings in the tech and lifestyle scene. Follow me on Instagram (@digitalfilipina) regularly visit www.digitalfilipina.com for daily dose of updates not just for moms but for everyone!